I typically do not eat eat gluten, however, the rest of my family does not have the issues with gluten that I do, so we still keep regular bread in the house.
The past several weeks, sometimes bread has been hard to come by so we have really getting back to basics and started making our own bread again.
This is likely our favorite bread maker recipe , which of course, can be made the traditional way as well.
Easy Homemade White Bread Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups lukewarm water, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast, or active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey, (or more sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted for brushing
INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE
- Put half the water, sugar and yeast into bread machine and let it proof for 10 -15 minutes.
- Then add remaining ingredients and let the bread machine mix the dough until combines and it is soft and not sticky. You can then add any additional ingredients such as herbs and cheese.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and make sure that it is completely coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm and draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Lightly flour your work surface and turn out the dough onto it. Divide it into two equally sized portions. Use your fingers to gently pat each half into an 8×12 inch rectangle while pressing it all over to remove any air pockets. Starting at the short end, roll up the rectangle into a tight roll and pinch the seams to seal. Tuck the ends of the roll slightly under the roll to create some tension on the surface and place each loaf into a greased 8×4 inch loaf pan tucked ends and seam side down.
- Cover with a greased piece of plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes in a warm and draft-free place until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F and adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.
This recipe makes 2 regular loaves baked in two 8×4-inch pans or one large loaf baked in a 9×5-inch loaf pan. To make one large loaf don’t divide the dough into two and pat it into a 9×13-inch rectangle. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
This bread recipe is super versatile, you can easily add other ingredients to change it up or make it into buns instead.
One of our favorite things to do is add some italian seasoning, shredded cheese and parmesan. It makes it taste just like the Italian herb and cheese sub buns from Subway! #foodhack
This bread would go very well with these Leftover Turkey Recipes!